Sunday, November 8, 2009

Once all the tubes in the forward fuselage were put in, I spent several hours completely welding all the joints. This was done in a quasi spiral fashion which balances out the stresses of  welding and minimizes distortion.

Now I had to get ready to jig up the tail but it is 46 inches above the centerline of the bottom tube. Since that would put it out of reach if I left it on the table I moved the ultra simple jig to the floor and re-leveled it.




Notice that it only takes a simple stick clamped to the fuselage to hold it into position.







I now cut out a jig similar to the others out of a scrap piece of plywood and mount it to a 2x4 which I clamped to my table. The table was placed the exact distance away to place the jig in the proper position. I used strings and a plumb bob to line everything up. Below, I am attaching the centerline string and then drop a plumb from the centerline of the jig to help align it all.






I am using a super simple jig for the Breezy. Below is a jig that my friend Gary Angelo and I made to weld up One Design fuselages. This jig is intended to be able to build several fuselages and to hold close tolerances. I also am using a TIG welder to do all of the welding whereas I am using my trusty J40 Victor on the Breezy. The TIG does beautiful welds but I always felt the need to go back and stress relieve the clusters even though several manufacturers (like the Pitts factory) TIG welds with no stress relieving.






The point is, you make the jig to fit the project. The Breezy doesn't require an elaborate jig to get the job done. Essentially, you make sure that a few key stations are in the right position and then you fill in the space in between. All the tubes in between just need to be reasonably close as they only transfer the load. This is an important concept that new builders need to understand. Know when you need to be really accurate and know when you don't. This will save you tons of time and allow you to make real progress. I've seen people get really anal retentive about jigging and/or making ultra precise layouts for parts that don't need it. However, please don't confuse this with good workmanship. Always make your parts in a craftsman like fashion.

Here is the "jig" with the strings. The strings really let you spot anything that is even a fraction of a millimeter off.











Next, I'll start adding tubes...

No comments:

Post a Comment