Saturday, November 28, 2009



For the A-frame, I had to finish up the two rear braces. There are a few more tubes up at the top to put in but I'll probably wait until the wings are finished to put those in. That way, I have a little room to move the wing attach points slightly (maybe 1/8" either way). This will allow me to align the wings if they are a tad off.




Here is the completed A-frame, well, at least what I'm going to do right now.



Here my son is laying out the rear seat. Again, we use a very simple jig, just a few nails in a piece of plywood.



Here we are welding the rear seat in. You can use magnets, sticks etc to hold the seat into position while welding. I cut a few blocks on my chop (miter) saw the right height and used them to support the seat at the correct angle.



Austin making the parts for the front seat...










The rear seat is in and level.



Here is the front seat back tacked into place.







Here is the simple jig. The dark spots at the top are just scraps of metal meant to keep the plywood from completely burning up. As you can see in the pics below, it still chars the wood pretty good. The seat frame (or whatever I'm building) is layed out with pencil. Nails are placed on either side of the line to ensure that the tubes are held in position.


The other lines are where I've used this piece of plywood before for other parts. Simple finishing nails are used.


Austin trying out the front seat and making the obligatory airplane noises.



Here are a couple of views of the seats. Looking at the pictures, I realize that my shop is getting pretty cluttered. I need to clean but once I get going and I'm making progress I hate to stop and clean. Still, I'll probably pick things up a bit.





No comments:

Post a Comment