Tuesday, January 12, 2010



This post is a little long and is a little eclectic. I jump around a bit because I can only work for short periods of time and it takes too long to set up some things so again, I pick some little things I can complete.

Once I drilled the holes in the control stick I welded in the bushings and the cross tube.






I then needed to cut the "saddle" for the tube on top that holds the control wheel and the chain gear. I used the mill and a 3/4" end mill cutter to quickly accomplish this.





The tube welded to the top of the control stick.








I made the spacer for the nose gear strut. I took the strut (oleo) from the original C-150 nosewheel and lopped off the end. It's inside diameter was too large for the tube I was using so I had to machine a spacer to go inside of this so the tube would fit and could be silver soldered in. It would've been easier to just turn the final piece out on the lathe from a solid bar I think but this will work just fine.


Here it is soldered to the receiving tube. This will slide inside the tube at the front of the plane for the nose wheel steering.


I still need to drill the final hole in the inner tube.






LANDING GEAR
I was going to build my own gear legs and even machined my axles (see previous post) but a freind had an older set of Cub/Super Cub gear legs in his throw-away junk pile so I asked if I could use them. He said, "sure, I was about to throw them away". They are in need of a good cleaning and a little repair but are overall in pretty good shape. I think this will save me some build time but we'll see. The reason these were going to the trash bin is because they are the older gear with the 1 1/4 inch axles. 6.00 x 6 wheels need 1 1/2" axles so I'll have to figure something out with that.

These are easily jigged up by raising the jig a little and placing the fuselage in it. This allowed me to slide a square tube under the fuselage so I could align each gear. I attached the brackets to the gear legs and then lined everything up and tack welded them on.





The bushings at the top of the Cub gear are wider than what is shown on the plans so I had to modify the attach brackets a little. This is easily accomplished by bending the bracket so it can be welded.








These are the stiffeners that are welded onto the attach brackets.









These are the brackets that are attached to the centerline.


I made them on the bench and then will fit the assembly to the fuselage and weld it in. Here, I spaced the the proper distance using whatever I had (washers, over-sized nuts etc.) and used old bolts to hold the washers and the brackets into alignment.








No comments:

Post a Comment